Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Battling that old demon, the SCALE

As a former Weight Watchers receptionist (and WW lifer), I know the drill.  Get on the scale once a week.  No more, no less.  Don't freak out over the number for any given week.  Your body doesn't always process things in a timely manner.  Well, I know all that, but I am still in a very wearying mental battle--more with myself than the actual instrument giving me the numbers I don't like. 

Despite all advice to the contrary, I hop on the scale every morning, and I have for years.  I also am very aware that what I eat today likely will not be reflected tomorrow morning, as one's body often takes 2-3 days to process high fat or high sodium foods.  And Sunday evening was full of both of those offenders, as well as some red wine.  But I was so VIRTUOUS yesterday, and had run over 11 miles between Saturday and yesterday, that I was convinced this morning's scale announcement would be a pleasant one.  No such luck--in fact, it was 0.2 pounds UP from yesterday.  And that would be completely acceptable if the entire reading weren't about 7 pounds more than I wanted it to be.  I seem hung at this point.  I am going to have to incorporate some strength training back into my routine, no doubt about it.  It will help my sluggish running AND my sluggish metabolism, I hope!

Happy running, happy strength training, one and all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you swung by my site too! Way to get on the tread and overcome 5 mles of looking at your basement wall :)

    ReplyDelete