Friday, March 16, 2012

Looking ahead, beyond the 10-Miler

It seems hard to believe, but the training program for the upcoming 10-Miler began 22 weeks ago!  It seems that my life has changed in so many ways because of the program.  Running has become an integral part of my life, something my family and friends now accept as part of me.  This is definitely a good thing, and while my weight has not dropped, I feel healthier, more willing to accept who I am at this moment, rather than waiting "until I lose 5 more pounds".


That having been said, I must confess that I will be glad in some respects when the training program and the race are over.  I no longer fear that I will stop running once the program ends--I won't stop, I'm sure of that.  But my long run won't necessarily be on Saturday mornings, and I won't be quite so obsessive about Monday, Wednesday, Thursday runs.  The mileage will become less important that the overall quality of the run.  And if the girls have activities going on first thing on a Saturday, I'll be there.  I'm incredibly grateful to my family, particularly my dear husband, for patiently waiting to begin our weekends until after I have had my long run, my breakfast and my shower (in that order!).  



The idea of a half marathon has been swirling around in my head for weeks now, and I know that I could tackle one (tomorrow's long run is 12 miles, so the distance isn't an issue).  But rather than jumping in and entering one of the many 1/2s that are coming up reasonably near our area (the Run for the Dream in Williamsburg, the Rock-n-Roll in Va. Beach, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Maryland), I am going to give myself a break and just enjoy RUNNING for the sake of running.  I'm promising myself that I won't even think about entering another race until May 1.  Sound reasonable?  

I can see you nodding your head, "Very good, Grasshopper.  Patience, Grasshopper."  :)


 



Happy running!

3 comments:

  1. Ummm, I say pick a half that you want to do. It doesn't matter WHEN it is (can be after May), but have one in mind so that you have a concrete goal. Just remember it wil be getting hot so it is better to tackle a half in cooler weather. No biggie on when those long runs are done - in my opinion your structured program was a great way to build a base and now you can trust yourself to go more on the feel of it. I'd say try not to at least get two or three weekly runs in. One long run every three week is sufficient (in my limited experience) to basiclly maintain your stamina, as long as you get in some 3 or 4 milers a couple or a few times a week. Do keep a log and record you miles (I use a very basic excel spreadsheet that shows like 20 weeks on one page), it doesn't have to be extensive but you need to have an idea of your weekly mileage so you'll know very quickly if you start to trend downward too much in your mileage. Relaxing and enjoying your running is a wonderful thing...but I did that last April and blew my running off to the point that I was almost starting from scratch come October. Not trying to be a bossy pants (sounds like it though!) but hope this helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, sorry for the typos...replying on my cell and it is difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jen--great advice, I definitely appreciate it. Ran with Running Buddy Robin today and discussed my need to get OFF a schedule for a while--she totally agreed with me but followed that quickly with a promise that she and I would run together at least twice a week. After today's 12 mile run, I know I could do a half marathon--and in decent time, I think, since today's run was at a very easy pace and I did it in 2:20. I even think I know which one I want to do, but mentally need to take a break from "training" once this race is over.

    I have become really used to RunKeeper, which gives me great reports on how I am doing overall, so I think that will keep me on track. Plus I will continue to read through the blogs I like so much (yours being one of them!), which will no doubt motivate me to keep on running!

    Hope you are having a great weekend, Jen!

    ReplyDelete